Yeastsmithing

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Azi

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Would it be reasonable to have a cooking or brewing recipe for a handful of yeast?

Like, if you have potatoes, honey/maple/sugar, and a kettle, you could get a yeast mash object that would decay to usable yeast?

It seems like it'd be a substantial mv/time investment to get it for free if you're willing to grow potatoes, get honey from foraging/bees or syrup from maple trees, cook it, and wait, so I don't think it would unbalance the purchase cost. But sometimes it's a really long ride to the brewery.

- Almaz "Everything I Say Is Influenced By My Poor Phome Choices" Khir

Temi

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Discussing this one, we don't know that it is probably worth it to do, and it's reasonable to have some things you need from shops at times.

Jules

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Just this morning, I was wishing I had something like this, actually. Would certainly give me a fruitful means to use up my overabundance of potatoes and honey.
-- player of Jules and others

Gerolf

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:56 am

Being the grumpy-Gus I am sometimes about yeasty beasties I'd offer my two cents:

Bread yeast is different from brewing yeast. Bread yeast would be flour, water, and time.

Brewing yeast, would have been carried over batch to batch from beer or the casts left open to catch the wild strains (think Lambics).

I am prone to agree with Temi on this and just go with buying it.

Applesauce

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:15 am

Honestly, in the tech time period we're supposed to represent, most fermentations would be open (meaning just use random yeast and bacteria that float in from the air, not cultivated or cultured yeasts). The two specific brewing yeast strains weren't really identified or commercially available until around 1800.

That said, "Urth not Earth" and I homebrew IRL and have much hands-on use with varying strains of brewing yeast. Would be glad to consult if needed ;)

Inertia

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:05 am

Applesauce wrote:Honestly, in the tech time period we're supposed to represent, most fermentations would be open (meaning just use random yeast and bacteria that float in from the air, not cultivated or cultured yeasts). The two specific brewing yeast strains weren't really identified or commercially available until around 1800.

That said, "Urth not Earth" and I homebrew IRL and have much hands-on use with varying strains of brewing yeast. Would be glad to consult if needed ;)
If you suggest harvesting yeast from bearded PCs I will fight you.

Gerolf

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 am

Applesauce wrote:Honestly, in the tech time period we're supposed to represent, most fermentations would be open (meaning just use random yeast and bacteria that float in from the air, not cultivated or cultured yeasts). The two specific brewing yeast strains weren't really identified or commercially available until around 1800.

We should talk some time. I also HB but I also make sourdough. Very familiar with both.

Azi

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 am

ahhh it sounds like i might not be the only one?

if it's still under consideration i still find myself avoiding yeast recipes because of how long it takes to get to the yeast store from the hillman village. i'm not sure what it is, maybe how casual most of cooking is (not wanting to have to go all the way to town to rp making hillman flatbread which wouldn't use yeast anyway) compared to say, woodworking where each order is a big deal.

like jules, i too am drowning in potatoes.

Dice

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 am

I would also love this, for I too have too many potatoes.

Temi

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 pm

I've added ale mash and whiskey mash as possible ingredients instead of yeast in dough - those seemed like the best suited of the mashes, and I found evidence of using like 'ale-barm' in medieval breads. Hopefully that eases some of the pains.

• Information