Log of OOC Meeting - 2020/10/10

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Sparkles

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Kinaed states, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed claims, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Kinaed asks, "No topics? Okay, maybe it will be quick today :)"

Lans bows and nods, "No topic."

Kinaed states, "Kicking off staff updates - as you know, we've hired two new staff members, and we've recently set up a quest roster. *Most* staff have taken two months of the year when they'll be responsible for running a mini-quest. January is mine."

Anonymous wonders, "A mini-quest?"

Lans perks up. Grimly.

Kinaed nods at Anonymous.

Lans wonders, "Can you ellaborate, please?"

Kinaed states, "It's not going to be anything major and world rocking like a noble quest, completely unrelated. I hope that means more people can be involved at lower levels."

Lans nods at Kinaed, "This is welcomed."

Kinaed states, "Well, originally when we planned the City Metrics, the idea was that whatever the worst metric was every month, there might be something that happens related to it - low health, maybe an illness breaks out in Southside, that kind of stuff."

Lans says, "I recall the tubori quarter fire."

Lans says, "And the riots."

PraiseTheBolt claims, "Oh my that sounds so hype"

Kinaed says, "We just haven't had the manpower to do it. So this time we've divided up small stuff like that across months with some staff being responsible for each month (we do have some months without staff though)"

Kinaed states, "Yeah, so things like that."

Lans states, "This is very good to hear."

Kinaed says, "I have mine mostly planned, and plan to implement it today. Even though mine is technically January, I thought it might be nice to 'release it on Christmas' or something."

Amy states, "That's really cool. I'm excited for it."

Kinaed states, "But it's worth noting it's 'something to RP about' so please don't have huge expectations of a mage invasion or anything."

Anonymous trails off, "Guess I'll put my armor away again then..."

Kinaed states, "Yes, we've got some newer staff with less OOC obligations who are excited about it too :)"

Lans says, "I can deal with a mage invasion."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed states, "We did that already :)"

PraiseTheBolt says, "Ah yes, the patron saint and the mysterious stranger"

Kinaed says, "Okay, let's see... on my desk - Turf Wars. Review of OOC Chat notes throughout history."

Kinaed claims, "Nothing else from me. :)"

Kinaed states to Azarial, "You're up next :)"

Azarial states, "I've worked out the crash and I am restoring what Niamh had added. NOt much else to report this week."

Kinaed says, "There were actually quite a few changes last week... sec."

Kinaed says, "There's 'notify RP'"

Kinaed states, "Has anyone tried that? I'm wondering if we should remove short descriptions from it."

PraiseTheBolt claims, "I did and it didnt work"

Kinaed muses, "What error did you get?"

Kinaed claims, "(May be wiped due to the rollback to fix some of the crashes)"

PraiseTheBolt claims, ""rp isnt available to notify" but i put it on the bug board already and it was removed"

Kinaed states, "Let me see.."

Lans asks, "Rummage is broken?"

Kinky says, "Getting the same error. Thanks for reporting it."

Lans states, "Oh it's not."

Sparkles asks, "Oh! As far as the holiday thingies go, is there a best way to possibly suggest some from things that have happened in the past?"

Kinaed wonders to Sparkles, "Typo board probably?"

Sparkles nods.

Kinaed states, "Depends on what you mean - maybe send Temi a tell because she has the action regarding balancing out the holiday schedule."

Sparkles claims, "Ah, not adding more holidays but more things that could be part of what the fun actions could be."

Kinaed says, "Okay, so some stuff that may or may not be in the process of being re-implemented due to rollback: there's a noquit command, a new chargen command, rummage, and the addition of 'plates' of food."

Kinaed says, "I want to say a big thanks to AE for sharing their code, and in return we've also agreed to share some of our code updates as well."

Lans claims, "Interesting."

Kinaed claims, "Nice thing about having friendly sister-games."

Apathy grins.

Kinaed claims, "Okay, so that's the code update - thanks Az, for everything, especially fixing the crashes and re-integrating some of our changes."

Kinaed states, "And thanks to Niamh for both programming some of these things and being willing to share them with us."

Kinaed queries, "Okay, next up - Ilena? Want to update us?"

Kinaed claims, "Oh, if you have an idea for a plot or something - let me know. Because my first idea is a pretty basic D&D quest."

Anonymous states, "I wanna get in on this D&D quest lol"

Kinaed claims, "I hope you do :)"

Ilena pontificates, "Hello, everyone! I wanted to note that I am always around to help with anything when possible, and that I love having the opportunity to help out with the housing and various other quests as well. I was hoping to maybe ask OOC chat when a good time for an event was, and I helped add to tips alongside handling other daily matters!"

Ilena claims, "I hope to have a better writeup for demon summoning soon by the end of next week."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed states to Ilena, "Thanks :) I like what you currently have, btw."

PraiseTheBolt says, "As a european player, even two hours before ooc chat time wise would be good. weekends are always prefered. "

Apathy claims, "My times are pretty weird compared to most so I just try to get on when I can and hope I can make stuff."

Kinaed nods at Apathy.

Kaiden questions, "Random question, does my account name appear here or my character name?"

Lans claims, "It says Kaiden."

Anonymous says, "Whatever your OOC channel name is set to is what appears here"

Kinaed states, "Your OOC title is what appears here, but it defaults to be your character name."

PraiseTheBolt says, "Your char name, with title ooc you can change what is displayed"

Kaiden says, "Ah okay."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed states, "I think Ilena might be done."

PraiseTheBolt says, "Title ooc bignerd changes your ooc name to bignerd"

Kinaed muses, "Let's move on to Player Heartbeat :) How was the game for everyone last week, folks?"

Lans claims, "The funeral was sweet."

Ilena declares, "Whoops! Yes!"

Lans says, "The lack of active Order members can be felt, though."

PraiseTheBolt says, "Week before last I decided to take a break, that turned out to be a wise move, game is much more enjoyable now. "

Kinaed comforts Lans.

Kinaed smiles at PraiseTheBolt.

Kinaed states, "I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it at the moment."

Kinaed queries, "May I ask who ran the funeral to award them?"

Anonymous claims, "Outside the funeral, which was nice, it's been very slow and sleepy for me."

Kinaed nods at Anonymous.

Anonymous wonders, "Also I think raylene officiated the funeral? Although all the guilds put in bits to make it happen"

PraiseTheBolt says, "Funeral was great. had to leave early. not sure who ran it but shamra wrote the hymn that was sung by the bards "

Lans says, "The funeral was ran by Raylene and Shamra"

Kinaed states, "Thanks, I'll award both :)"

Lans states, "Andorig and Delana prepped the corpses"

Lans says, "Amy did the coffins"

PraiseTheBolt claims, "How gruesome, having to prepare the corpse of someone you knew. but i guess thats what being a phys is"

Lans peers at Sparkles, "Did I forget anyone?"

Kinaed claims, "Thanks for making an event that people clearly enjoyed, those who participated."

Anonymous claims, "Yes, lol. It is the second time that's happened, tis very sombering."

Lans nods at Kinaed.

Amy claims, "I kind of getting the crafting blues, so I neglect playing Amy alot."

Kinaed questions, "Okay, is there anything shitting anybody about the game that you want staff to know about? :)"

Lans states, "With that said, I will not object more Orderites."

Kinaed comforts Amy.

Kinaed muses, "What are the crafting blues?"

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Lans states, "Weariness."

Lans states, "Francesca had them at one point."

Kinaed claims, "I think we're suffering a slump at the moment for several reasons."

Lans wonders, "Such as?"

Kinaed states, "But we've had them before, and I'm confident it's temporary."

Amy says, "I just can't think up strings at the moment and i frustrates me."

Kinaed wonders, "Reasons for the slump?"

Lans nods.

Lans says to Amy, "Ask the customer to provide strings."

PraiseTheBolt asks, "Ask your fellow merchants to draw the strings for part of the commis?"

Amy says, "I suppose. I will hunt someone down for it."

Sparkles says, "I think there's behaviors on both sides that could fix some the strings stuff."

Anonymous says, "If you have trouble coming up with strings, you can ask me to help either OOCly or ICly. The only thing I'm useless for making strings for is clothes."

Sparkles states, "I think people could start offering 'drafting services' ICly"

Lans claims, "That's a good idea."

Kinaed claims, "Well, a player winning the house bids because they were nobility over someone very popular was a big deal, and I think given some IRL situations in the world going into elections at the moment, probably a bit triggering. Also, it's that time of year when people are hitting midterms and busy stuff IRL - it's a natural seasonal slump time for us end of Sept/early Oct - and there was another Reddit post that was probably offputting. "

Kinaed claims, "Also, because the wholist is low, people log in and log out when the see the wholist 'looking low'"

Kinaed claims, "Also, I'm in a shitty timezone, so I am probably missing a lot of people I'm used to seeing."

Kinaed states, "The numbers are about half of our peak numbers at the moment."

Azarial nods.

Kinaed claims, "If I missed anything I should know about, let me know."

Azarial claims, "There has been a ton of flickerlogging"

Kaiden coughs

PraiseTheBolt coughs.

Kinaed says, "Yeah, if you log in and see the wholist is low, please consider hanging out for twenty-odd minutes, even afk, to help right that."

Sparkles states, "I think posting to the forum thread about the five minute timer and closing that thread might make people more aware that was changed too, as I know that was also a concern for some folks."

Apathy nods.

Apathy says, "I kind of drifted until that went away."

Lans claims, "The reddit post, yes. It was distasteful as usual."

Kinaed questions, "I thought we did post it to the forum that we experimented with that, and it didn't do what we wanted? That said, that was resolved several weeks ago and I doubt it's linked to right now?"

PraiseTheBolt claims, "Yea people who left due to 5 minute timer might not be aware its not a thing anymore. making that obvi might help pull them back."

Lans nods.

Lans claims, "I am aware of a few that left because of it, yes."

Kinaed claims, "I want to thank those of you who stuck around while we trialed it, checked the data results, and made a decision about it. I know it was a somewhat painful process, but I think sometimes it's worthwhile for games to experiment to learn."

Lans claims, "I don't log as much as I used to, but I am constantly patrolling the grid."

Kinaed states, "In terms of posting about it, I'm not sure how to reach those people :)"

Kinaed states, "But I can check the thread and update it again on the forums if necessary."

Sparkles claims, "Forums or a pinned announcement in Discord besides word of mouth."

Kaiden says, "Oh I don't quit cause nobody is on. I've just been too busy and sadly it feels like coming to RP (not just on TIL, everywhere, but TIL too) is a chore. But I feel bad for not doing so since I joined a guild. :("

Kinaed comforts Kaiden.

Kinaed claims, "Please don't feel bad or guilty about not being able to play for any reason. It is a game, and sometimes we need space in our lives for games."

Kinaed says, "Obviously we'd love to be hippity hopping, but that's not your responsibility to make happen."

Kaiden claims, "I feel like I should go to my IC superior and tell him I really need to put down the RP games for a bit. I don't want to quit, and it's not a quitting move, cause I like the place buuuuuut...anyhow. That's my story. Not a reflection on the community."

Kinaed states, "Anyone have anything else they want to talk about or raise as part of the Player Heartbeat? We don't have any topics, so I can probably revert to asking a few kinds of questions if you want."

Sparkles queries, "Is the plan to work on Brewing still on the table? "

Kinaed says to Kaiden, "Possibly worthwhile. Other ways I've seen it handled is an IC mail saying that something has come up in your family life, etc so you may be scarce for awhile. It is good of you to let your IC superiors know one way or another."

Kinaed states, "I'm not handling it, but I believe it is on someone's agenda."

Kinaed muses, "Is there something you want me to add or bring to the staff working on brewing?"

Sparkles says, "Probably a litany of things I could write up, I've started a Google Doc on suggestions."

Deedee says, "I think vegetable juice was one thing that was suggested for brewing"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed claims, "Sounds interesting. Let me check the Staff Action Item roster and see who has that at the moment."

Sparkles says, "Probably the biggest one is thinking of ways to better utilize some of the top tier Gardening things to inspire more people to grow them."

Anonymous states, "I don't even know of a use for the lvl 75 plants"

Anonymous states, "Beyond decoration"

Lans states, "Showing off."

Deedee states, "Juggling"

Lans nods.

Kaiden says, "Magic."

Kinaed trails off to Anonymous, "Adding that to the list. I'd think a lot of the showing off stuff should be lower level..."

Lans says, "As a gift, perhaps even fora plot."

Kaiden states, "You don't know it but harvesting from those level 75 plants is critical for spells."

Kaiden eyeshifts.

Deedee says, "Avocados are still tough as heck to deal with"

Kaiden states, "Oh. Or alternatively. They make good weapons."

Kinaed says to Sparkles, "I'll ask the staff member who is working on brewing to contact you for a chat about your ideas."

Amy says, "Being able to embellish liquids with other liquids would be cool."

Lans questions, "... such as?"

Lans wonders, "A jaegermeister?"

Deedee says, "If you don't log on for one day, your avocados die pretty much"

Anonymous claims, "So just like real life lol"

Lans wonders, "I've a question though: do we have any rough sketch of a return of demon summoning, time wise?"

Anonymous claims, "This is why I refuse to use avocados IRL"

Kinaed states to Amy, "Jotting down the idea and adding it to Staff Talking Points (re: embellishing liquids)"

Amy queries, "Juice with vodka for example?"

Sparkles claims, "For the flowers, I'd think maybe it should be Perfumer stuff in that 60-75 range, as currently there are no Perfumery crafts above 60."

Kinaed asks, "Are avocados used for anything important?"

Sparkles wonders, "Maybe a Farin dish?"

Sparkles claims, "We need a guacamole craft."

Amy states, "Also you can't embellish with ground spices, which is sad."

Kinaed makes a note of flowers maybe playing into perfumery and adding level 60+ recipes.

Kinaed states to Amy, "Got that."

Kinaed jots it down.

Sparkles claims, "Also being able to embellish with liquids would be great, then I can finally make booze truffles."

Kinaed grins at Sparkles.

Kinaed wonders, "Anything else people are longing for?"

Sparkles claims, "Oh! I had an idea."

Deedee says, "Avocados don't have any recipe afaik, but they can be used as a generic vegetable"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Amy says, "Also you can't put liquid drugs into drinks, if I remember correctly. "

Kinaed states, "Yeah, I've heard that people are a bit disappointed about the efficacy of the 'lace' command and how practically it works."

Anonymous states, "I still remember the bruhaha over rasp relieve"

Lans says, "It is mostly for self-consumption."

Lans queries, "I had asked a question, should I re-post it, Kin?"

Kinaed muses to Lans, "Apologies, I did miss it. Please repost?"

Lans questions, "I've a question though: do we have any rough sketch of a return of demon summoning, time wise?"

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Lans claims, "(no problem)"

Deedee claims, "Them demons have had a nice vacay"

Kinaed states to Lans, "We don't. About two weeks ago Ilena came to us with a first pass rough draft of demon summoning. It was endorsed and she's finishing the second pass this week. Az is working on a big system to fix some of our policy problems, and demon summoning is the next big thing - but it's hard to say how long off that is."

Lans states, "I've a professional investment in the matter, see. And I think it was a popular feature whose removal turned off a lot of people."

Lans claims, "Okay, that's a good answer. Thanks."

Kinaed says, "Meanwhile, however, Niamh has stepped in to pick up some of the simpler programming requests for us."

Lans claims, "Thanks, guys, all of you."

Lans bows.

Kinaed claims, "It's a shame because the previous system was super under-utilized for a number of reasons, so even though it was 'removed' - it was getting next to no use in its previous form."

Kinaed says, "Hopefully the new form will be more accessible, if less high-context RP."

Lans states, "Oh! That's interesting."

Lans states, "I did see a spike of demon summoning around march, during the thief rampage."

Kinaed says, "I do like Ilena's ideas, and I think the pbase will like it too. It's probably not as fun as being able to summon a sentient demon, but it's better than the original automated demon-summoning by a long shot."

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Kinaed states, "That was through pre-arranged RP, and usually meant booking me 1-2 weeks in advance to play a demon."

Lans asks, "Only you?"

Kinaed states, "That was just untenable for the pbase."

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Lans asks, "Why not use other staffers too?"

Kinaed claims, "At least, during the end period there."

Lans peers at Ilena.

Ilena states, "Don't worry- Being able to interact with sentient demons is ideally just planned as a later thing, rather than a lesser thing for entry level dabblers, so to get to the point where you can is something high investment."

Kinaed states, "Because they couldn't."

Ilena waves.

Lans says, "Ah, alrighty."

Kinaed states, "You have to understand, we had deaths in families, stuff like that going on."

Sparkles says, "I'd love to suggest maybe location plays a part in that, would be a really cool way to reward exploration/lore knowledge."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed states, "I'll jot the note and pass it to Ilena."

Sparkles claims, "Also maybe get away from people randomly summon demons in Inn rooms, lol."

Lans trails off to Kinaed, "Totally understand. Just trying to understand... more =)"

Kinaed muses, "We're nearing the top of the hour with another ten minutes left :) Is there anything else people want to chat about?"

Kinaed nods at Lans.

Kinaed states, "All good :)"

Sparkles claims, "Oh, I had an idea about a QP usage."

Kinaed states, "Otherwise, I am happy to thank everyone for participating in today's OOC Chat. I'm on my usual limited schedule, so I'm thinking it might be nice to get the physical aspects/framework of my quest stuff prepared today so it can be dropped in game later."

Kinaed wonders to Sparkles, "Oh? I'd love to hear it :)"

Sparkles states, "I'd love if you could spend QP to get a custom asset resource. Even a higher one I think is something that could let folks add a good bit of flavor to their PCs."

Kinaed says, "I'll add the idea to Staff Talking Points"

Deedee claims, "I could see using that, but I could also see it being a bit unbalancing"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

PraiseTheBolt claims, "Qp is hard to get though"

Kinaed says, "That's why we'd talk about it - but skinning an asset if the underlying numbers don't change is probably a doable thing."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed claims, "There may be ways to look at it that are okay. I think our QP system may need a bit of a review for consistency though."

Sparkles says, "It might depend on what it is, but for I'll use myself as an example ... being able to asset say bottles of wine I use for RP events is probably more of a net gain than me spending hours grinding that takes me out of RP."

Kinaed muses, "Oh, is there any consensus about whether noble projects have been fixed properly with the new timers?"

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Anonymous says, "I have a suggestion if there's time to talk about it"

Sparkles claims, "There seems to be currently a bug with them."

Kinaed states to Anonymous, "I'm fine to chat for awhile, and we have 5 min, so go ahead."

Sparkles claims, "One project is in negative timers and hasn't kicked back yet."

Kinaed states to Sparkles, "Hmm, I wonder if it's on the bug board."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed states, "I'll make a note to check that. I thought I saw that was resolved, but I'll have to see if it actually was."

Anonymous states, "What does everyone think about projects going from noble-only, to noble and guild leaders? With the caveat that the guild leaders can only make a project that their guild could reasonably undertake. Like the Troubadours could throw a big festival, but they couldn't arrange for free medical check ups for people."

PraiseTheBolt claims, "Im not a noble but i do like it"

Kinaed states, "It seems reasonable to me."

Kinaed says, "I'll put that on Staff Talking Points too."

Anonymous says, "Thanks"

Kinaed exclaims, "Okay we're at the top of the hour with two minutes remaining. I want to again thank everyone for popping up and having a chat with us today. Also, thanks again for people running events for other people. I hope to see everyone next week!"

Deedee waves.

Sparkles declaims, "Thanks!"

PraiseTheBolt exclaims, "Bye bye!"

PraiseTheBolt declaims, "Thanks!"

• Information