Old Moods

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 am

Should moods have an expiry timer placed on them? I've noticed that players leave some interesting moods that are great, but a year later it's a bit jarring to walk into a room with a corpse when there isn't one, or if you wonder if blah and blah ever got done with cleaning out that fountain...

This said, I wonder if there's a more elegant way to handle keeping moods mostly up to date... any ideas? Maybe let players set how many IC days a mood will last, otherwise clear it when the log out or something?

Tribalware

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 am

possible to code in a temp vs. permanent mood command? if you set all moods to expire itl be more work in upkeep replacing the permanent ones ie important vnpcs etc than it is at the moment deleting outdated ones.

But personally i have on more than one occasion been dissapointed to find an exciting looking old mood, ie - missing guards and blood stains on the floor at the town hall courier, only to soon realise the rp has been and gone and all im catching is the tail end of something fun.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Well, moods were intended to be for the more temporary things, and yeah - someone would have cleaned up that mess if it happened a week ago ICly!

How would we discern a more permanent mood from another? Just let the mood-setting player decide?

How long should non-perm moods last before expiring?

Thanks!

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:56 pm

This would be great. I'd be happy to see it put in.
Old As Dirt

Another

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Maybe simply tag when a mood was posted?

Tribalware

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

problem here just seems to be that moods are serving two contradictory purposes. on the one hand they are invaluable on a temporary basis for indicating something of recent interest like a robbery, on the other hand they seem to be entirely necessary for VNPC's like the leathered guards marching the roads who are permanent.

if there were a way to handle these permanent settings under a different command then all moods could be set to be temporary and would serve more as what id consider to be their real purpose. it seems that compromises have been made for the sake of convenience with the vnpcs and moods which is fine, but in order to adress the old moods problem youll also need to find a way to deal with permanent situational factors differently. though in saying this i can see a room desc followed by permanent settings ie 'guards march the roads' followed by a mood ie 'things are very tense of late following what appears to be a recent crime' and then any items etc in the room might get a little bulky textwise, i dont know

• Information