[Poll] Regnancy

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Do you think Regnancy is a good system for TI to have?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes, let's keep regnancy
33%
No, regnancy needs to go
25%
Maybe, further comments below
42%

Total votes: 12
The_Last_Good_Dragon

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:55 am

chronodbu wrote:Dragon's idea sounds like a really cool one for that aspect. Making it so it's more of a protection against the person in general. Again though, I feel this should be restricted to awakening and not castable otherwise we'd just have every fire mage ever using it on the Order constantly.
Edit: Because I forgot to include the initial point I had when quoting the above .... Making it inter-mage only kind of goes against the theme of 'Mundane v Magic' that TLI's most base conflict is built upon. I'm incredibly against any magic that is codly forced to stay within magic circles and not able to be used to manipulate or control the mundane world that tries to hard to burn the pesky mage-folk.

To be clear, the "Protection" aspect was to go a bit hand-in-hand with "more knowledge about it existing" aspect as well; I don't believe there's a helpfile for it for non-mages, which is fine, but it's also not mentioned in the Rhyme of Portents or Superstitions or anything like that. In my head it works better as a bit of a delayed bit of insurance. So, casting it on an Orderite, who might be more appraised of the spell and what it does, will probably not end well. I kind of it as lighting a small fire to direct a larger one: sure, it works in theory, but planned poorly it will just give you two problems to deal with. I think there should be an included matter of trust in the spell, something where an afflicted non-mage has a -very- clear idea that they're being magically controlled -before- any ability to be actually controlled or influenced comes about. Maybe not by whom, but long enough to combat the spell through IC means before it becomes a permanent fixture of control.

Another possible way to solve the issue of the spell being Overpowering and ICly and OOCly too controlling might be to allow a bit of fight back from someone with the spell cast upon it; a bit of chomping at the bit or thrashing against the cage wall that can have a very negative affect on a mage enforcing control on someone who is emotionally unwilling. This could be a command for the regnanted person and rise in affect as the spell lingers, from things like lowering max stamina of the mage to increasing spell failure rates or even inflicting physical burns on the mage if they're unable to keep the mind of the afflicted person in line. Some sharp DRAWBACK to the spell might ensure the very powerful (and, in my opinion, very thematic!) control it allows some pause to keep it all in check. I'm a big fan of the 'Yes, but..' approach to conflict-enabling, offering players options that come with consequence, and it doesn't seem that Regnancy has those consequences to make it a risky gambit for the mage in question.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Geras

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:30 am

I can't say I have much experience with this spell but I think if a spell is scary but doesn't involve a mage winning a stand up fight, that's a good spell.

If it makes people feel their character is permanently ruined, then it seems some limitations. Maybe a timeline - even a very long one (like multiple IRL months?)

BattleJenkins

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:29 pm

The_Last_Good_Dragon wrote:I'm a big fan of the 'Yes, but..' approach to conflict-enabling, offering players options that come with consequence, and it doesn't seem that Regnancy has those consequences to make it a risky gambit for the mage in question.
I really like your suggestions! It reminds me of what 5th edition D&D did with the 'knock' spell. I'll give the whole story here, since I think it's kind of relevant.

In previous editions of D&D, wizards had access to a first level spell called 'knock', which could automatically open any mundanely locked door. This, unfortunately, wasn't good for the poor Rogue, whose lockpicking skills were basically obsolete in the face of this spell being available, and so early, too! Many people wanted the spell removed, or to drastically reduce it's power so that a rogue's lockpicking was the better choice. But in 5th edition, they revised the spell with a very clever caveat - it was still just as powerful, undoing any mundane lock, but now it had a drawback, completely unrelated to the spell's numbers or mechanics - it made an enormously loud knocking sound when cast, which would alert everyone in a dungeon to your presence. So if you wanted to sneak in, picking the lock would be your best bet.

The point of this anecdote is - if something is too powerful, giving it a clever and meaningful drawback can be better than just reducing the power or taking it out!

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Regnancy isn't exactly subtle, honestly, and it's not all that hard to break (provided the mechanisms to break it that were written out are actually in-game). As regnancy builds, only the regnancy effect itself keeps the regnant from wanting to dob in their master, which means that the regnant, under the right circumstances, absolutely could. For example, Davites believe that the kindest thing to do for a mage is to cleanse them so they can rejoin the Lord of the Springs. What is your truly Davit regnant going to do if they really, really love a mage?

Similarly, once broken, the memory of what happened and how a character felt about the mage, etc... is still there. At that stage, the mage is pretty sincerely in trouble.

This is a reminder for me to make sure that the failsafes AND lore to explain them, are in game, however.

anietzschesweater

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 pm

I had a PC made regnant before - I didn't really know until it was happening what it actually was. I didn't know who to ask about it, so I certainly struggled with integrating it into my RP - how it affects my PC and how I should be reacting, etc. I also was hesitate to approach anyone to ask. However, I do think it's thematic of a dark game and when done well can lead to story development. I can also see how it can be damaging because it gives a lot of control over to someone else - not everyone will be responsible. To be honest, if the player who casted it wasn't capable of writing interesting stories and wasn’t respectful about the whole thing - I'd have considering bailing and I could see situations in which I probably would. It is a very involved thing and needs to be approached with OOC respect. However my own experience hasn’t limited my RP in anyway - just changed it which is part of a game that is meant to be unpredictable and challenging.

That being said I really think there should be more fluctuation and things that weaken the bond to ensure the mage casting is challenged by it, not just the victim. The time for it to weaken is very long and I suggest reviewing that. I also think that there needs to be information so people that aren’t familiar with the spell have information to go on so they can integrate the changes into their RP.

Like most things in life, it’s not the object but the operator that makes or breaks it.

• Information