[Poll] Give Us Grit

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Is TI dark and gritty enough for you?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 am

Yes
58%
No
27%
Depends (comments below)
15%

Total votes: 26
Geras

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Dice wrote:I'm seeing this disconnect where people are saying "I don't want more grit", but also supporting a lot of the policies listed in the post (if not all of them). I think that grit is a fuzzy and imprecise term, and it may be doing more harm than good.

Me, I don't want a crueler, nastier theme, which is one way to look at grit - I want a theme that is 1) more internally coherent and consistent, and 2) that is designed to empower and create small-scale, non-lethal conflict with both the environment and other PCs so that we can be more easily and naturally entertained without having to rely on large-scale plots and mayhem all the time.

So that's why I support a lack of universal education, for point 1, and why I support the idea of an environmental threat, for point 2, but I personally don't feel adding slavery to Lithmore would do much to create conflict - it'd just make the world nastier, which in and of itself doesn't feel like a valuable end goal. (Especially for players, and reasons, like BattleJenkins mentioned.)

I think we should disentangle the idea of a meaner theme from a theme that is designed to empower conflict, and be driven by the latter, rather than the former.
I don't think drastically increasing the racism or sticking it to freemen would do much for that either to be honest. I do think the idea of making resources more scarce might generate some of that class distinction more naturally though.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:02 pm

A lack of universal education is unsustainable thematically because the game is text-based, and due to timezone limitations, people often NEED to use mail ICly to communicate. The best way to allow this to happen on a game that is essentially focused on PC interaction to create IC events is for everyone to be able to, minimally, be able to read.

I agree with the scarcity of resources item, though. I think purchase silver in its current form is bad for the game because it does make the financial differences between classes relatively meaningless. Hopefully, the asset system will improve that situation.

• Information