Child Characters

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should we restrict child characters on TI?

Yes
46%
No
38%
Maybe
15%

Total votes: 26
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Getting complaints about how child characters appear to be an adult player's attempt to avoid responsibility for their activities. What do you think?

Callista

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Define 'skill responsibility for their activities'.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 pm

"avoid" Sorry!

Caria

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

I would agree with restricting child chars mostly for the fact that even though it is a game, I the player, balk at any RP that leads to torture/death ICly of a child. I know it's just a game, but still, wanting to RP that stuff out is not healthy OOCly, much like how rape scenes are forbidden. They do happen in the universe of the Inquisition, but there's no real need for us to roleplay such.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 pm

I agree with Caria's point, and I think that's specifically what people are talking about. Children are intrinsically seen as not responsible for their actions, so people feel bad or that it's inappropriate to get them into trouble, but many child characters are thieves, heretics, insulting to nobles, and pretty much act out in most ways that would have that sort of response.

I've had multiple complaints for the last three days or so (has our population of child characters spiked or something?) about this.

In general, I'm leaning towards a restriction of some sort, just not sure what.

Callista

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:26 pm

I think there's a large gap between "no responsibility" and "torture/death". Why shouldn't child characters be held responsible to some degree? Yes, no one wants to see them put through the same Inquisition as adults (although if one were a mage, would you burn them?) I think it depends on the characters on both sides -- some might be more leniant because they are children, sure, but others might say to flog the damn cretins. I think that punishments and restrictions might include hauling their ass back to the orphanage, putting them under restrictions (i.e. not out at night? must remain in the company of a caregiver? etc), use of the stocks, making them work off their crimes (scrubbing the church?), jailing if necessary, etc, etc.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. And yes, Kinaed, there's been a spike in child chars as of late, but having taken part in a scene with them, it was actually hilarious and spawned further rp. I'd hate to see it restricted when some creativity in dealing with it might be the answer.

Onasaki

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Actually nevermind my last post. One of the main reasons I play TI is because of Freedom of age. The sheer fact that you're allowed to play a kid, is one of the main plus points of the game.

I don't know what kind of complaints people are giving, and personally, I think it's a little bullshitty that people would actually think people are playing kidchars to 'avoid responsibility'. Kids in the middle ages were just as susceptible to the law, as anyone else. Maybe even more so, because they're kids, and they have a reputation for getting into trouble, being urchins, and thieves.

It FITS the THEME. We are DARK FANTASY people. Just because we have a modern mind, doesn't mean we have to let that mind get in the way of interesting RP. Kids were killed, maimed, burned, and tortured all throughout history. You don't see people whining because their adult character is getting tortured. It's a touchy subject, at best, but it fits with the theme.

And if kidchars were restricted, I would likely quit the game entirely as it's one of the main reasons I play. There is no reason why they should be restricted. If anything, I think their stats should probably lowered.

Sephone

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 pm

I think that anyone can use an excuse to try and avoid responsibility of annoying actions, but I think kid characters add a fun dimention to the game.

If someone is being a problem player they should be dealt with individually, not have everyone else, who does or may want to play a child character, miss out because one or two people spoiled it for everyone. That's simply not fair.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I think a lot of people of the modern mindset aren't prepared to engage in that sort of RP on kids.

For my stance, I think restrictions should be something around: application character and someone responsible for them ICly. Eg, they must have a parent or someone acknowledging their wardship (like the person who runs the orphanage or the Order).

From what I see, vote wise: 2 people want unrestricted, 4 people want some sort of restrictions. So far. I think the people complaining are afraid to post because they don't want their feelings about the RP they been involved in being made public because they may be hurtful to the players of child characters. I note that the only person who said yes straight-forward, was Caria, and Caria has not complained to me.

As I said - multiple complaints. By this, I mean more than three people. Four different people, actually.

mattc

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm

I think if we make the cutoff for child = characters below 13, I'd be OK with making it application based or the like.

• Information