Combat Code - A Chance to Comment and Mentally Prepare

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 am

New combat is a different fish from old combat. There are no keywords, but equipment becomes important. The only skills depreciated will be the stances (as of this time), and players will recoup that XP to spend elsewhere. Armor and weaponry will need to be replaced, but we'll sort that out without cost to players.

Now then, the philosophy of the new combat is this: If someone wants to hit you, they'll probably succeed. The question is whether or not it'll hurt and who is left standing at the end. Multiple combat is nasty (and does work), so ganging up on someone is really a great strategy. There's no negatives to anyone if they're being ganged up on, just a lot of people with the same chance as ever to hit you - which means you're taking more hits per round than otherwise if multi-attacked.

Damage is a direct function of a random weapon die roll (based on the weapon's actual damage, so the quality of your EQ is important), your str, & your weapon skill versus your opponents defense. The defense actually minimizes the result of the first calculation in its entirety, so don't think that just because there's a lot more going into the left side of the equation that the defense is weak.

Stat wise, strength increases damage, and increases your HP, which is used as a derived stat to represent a character's resting force levels (their capacity to do damage).

Dexterity is mostly used to measure actual misses, and it is not a function of having a high dex, but more the difference between your dex and your opponents. At the most extreme opposites (eg, you have 100 dex and your opponent 0), you'll generally hit 90% of the time, and if you flip the two, you'll generally miss 90% of the time... meaning 10% of the time will be a hit, at minimum, always for everyone. Extrapolating that, people with equal dex hit 50% of the time, and you can probably figure out the arc from there. Dex is also used in the calculation of MV, which is used as your resting defense levels (eg, when you're just wandering around, how likely it is that someone can effectively clock you).

The difference between someone's resting force and a victim's resting defense is the chance a critical hit will be scored. If a player does enough damage in one blow, the victim will be incapacitated with shock (this is extremely rare and will require augmentation. It is very unlikely to happen naturally - Kinaed couldn't do it on the test port with stats and skills maxed out.)

Armor buffers a character from damage, instead taking it itself until it's "broken". When armor is broken, it can be repaired, but it will be useless to protect you until it is repaired. The heavier your armor, the more tired you get walking around in it, though.

No weapon is better or worse than another weapon, though some weapons are better or worse against specific defense skills (so think rock, paper, scissors). To be an unstoppable combat wombat, you'll need all the weapon skills and most of the defense skills, but to be a maxed out expert against any particular skillset presented in an actual combat scenario, you'll only need one weapon skill and two defenses.

It does not feel like current TI combat as the urgency is diminished. Turn-taking is enforced. Targetting is straightforward. See the below help file that was the original premise for combat. (Please note, small details have changed and some of those items are not yet programmed, meaning they may change as well).

Code: Select all

PLANNED HELP FILE

Syntax: attack <name> <target location> <emote>
        defend <emote>
        safe <name> <target location> <emote>
        flee <direction> <emote>
        <technique> <name> <emote> || [trip|backstab|feint
        surrender <emote>
        disengage <emote>

Attack <name> <target location> <emote> allows a player to attempt to
attack another player. This will automatically calculate the player's success,
apply any critical wounds received, deduct hit points from the opponent, and
reduce the attacking player's stamina accordingly.

Defend <emote> allows a player to defend themselves until further
notice. They can only defend themselves to the maximum of their ability, but it
will return them a portion of their stamina. Note that players can only defend
themselves once per time they are targeted by a  attack or technique, and
defense reduces damage, but does not eliminate it.

Safe <name> <target location> <emote> acts as an attack, but does not
actually assign hp damage or criticals. It does, however, reduce a player's
stamina as a normal attack would.

Flee <direction> <emote> can remove a character from combat, and move
them into the next room on a chance of success based upon how many players in
the room they're fleeing from have them set as their target. Characters cannot 
flee through closed doors!

Surrender <emote> will flag a character as surrendered, leaving them
open to a massive attack (which will reduce them to one hit point, flag 
them incapacitated and give them a critical equal to the amount of HP lost), 
or leave them open to an arrest, or allow a disengage (in cases of sparring).

Techniques all have their own effects and bring most of the strategy into
the game, though there is some strategy in timing your attacks.

Combat forces players to respectfully take turns with one another. Each 
made requires a player to wait for their opponent to use at least one 
before they may be targeted again.

Armor absorbs damage directed at a character until the armor is too 
damaged to do so anymore, but it can be repaired. Safe attacks do not
damage armor.

Jei

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by Jei on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estelle

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 am

Sorry that I don't have the time to comment in detail. But I'm ambivalent towards it in general, I like the turn-based style and flexible emotes, but not the lack of modifier keywords. Also don't much like the fact that strategy affects outcomes a lot less now. I think Az has worked hard on it and it'd be awesome to have a less buggy combat system though.

Just one pressing comment; after reading how much change all the stats/skills are going through, I would hope that we all get the ability to reset our stats and skills after this. Skills only insomuch as we put into combat, of course - ie if someone spent 10k on combat skills he should get the 10k back to reshuffle amongst the various skills in the combat tree.

Kinaed

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 am

Yes, I believe the intent is to allow players to redo their skills when this goes in as well as to replace any old items that need actual values on them for free.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:01 pm

ADDITIONAL UPDATES

To accommodate a system where armor and preparation counts, when combat code comes in, the following things will happen:

1) You will no longer use moves to walk or crawl from room to room.
2) You will no longer regen on logout, BUT
3) you can rest for move regen at a slow pace
4) you can sleep for move regen at a con-based faster pace (partly to decouple meditation from sleeping).
5) Eating and drinking for instant regen remains.
6) Wearing armor of any kind (padded, leather, chain, or plate) will cost moves as you walk around
7) Wearing armor of any kind will modify sneak success rates
8) ALL stub skills will be removed from the game (meaning if it's in-game, it should be functional, otherwise, it's not there)
9) All players will be given an opportunity to redo their skills/etc, in the new player zone.

Additional combat commands, especially techniques, will come into game and be made available to all players at the same time. They will not be available to purchase until they come in.

This is our current plan. As it hasn't happened yet, players have an opportunity to question/comment/suggest changes.

Clockwork

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Kinaed wrote:ADDITIONAL UPDATES

To accommodate a system where armor and preparation counts, when combat code comes in, the following things will happen:

1) You will no longer use moves to walk or crawl from room to room.
2) You will no longer regen on logout, BUT
3) you can rest for move regen at a slow pace
4) you can sleep for move regen at a con-based faster pace (partly to decouple meditation from sleeping).
5) Eating and drinking for instant regen remains.
6) Wearing armor of any kind (padded, leather, chain, or plate) will cost moves as you walk around
7) Wearing armor of any kind will modify sneak success rates
8) ALL stub skills will be removed from the game (meaning if it's in-game, it should be functional, otherwise, it's not there)
9) All players will be given an opportunity to redo their skills/etc, in the new player zone.

Additional combat commands, especially techniques, will come into game and be made available to all players at the same time. They will not be available to purchase until they come in.

This is our current plan. As it hasn't happened yet, players have an opportunity to question/comment/suggest changes.
I'm a big fan of the current plan. My only concern is that the IC ramifications of someone using the new player zone to redo their skills could be weird, as someone who was previously only a passable fighter becomes some sort of unstoppable killing machine.

Kinaed

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:32 pm

True, and absolutely valid concerns. However... it's the bone we're throwing everyone for majorly hijacking how combat works. I'd like to think people will keep it in perspective.

It's really not tenable for us to hand-alter everyone's combat skills, so we need them to do it for themselves. It does expose us to the risk of silliness, but I like to think players wouldn't get silly ideas.

Estelle

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 am

I think we could simply take the xp players have spent in their 'combat' skills, and allow that xp alone to be redistributed amongst the new combat skills, intead of allowing free redistribution or unused xp to be used.

Zeita

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 pm

From my previous experience as an imm on previous TIs, that isn't so simple, and would involve a lot of micromanaging by the Imms as people fiddle with their numbers and try to get their skills right and working within the numbers.

I've got a couple of questions, Kinaed.
- if someone wanted to drop all combat skills when going to the new system, can we do that?
- is it permissible to purchase/drop non-combat related skills at this time as well?
- also, I don't know if a decision was made about skill level caps, but this may be a good time to institute them?

Thanks,
Charm.

Kinaed

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Good idea about the skill level caps. I think we will introduce them at the same time.

With regards to the rest, I don't mind if people drop their skills entirely or beef them up. Everyone's on the same foot with the same chance, so I'm okay with them expressing themselves in different ways.

With regards to the non-combat stuff, I can't stop anyone, I don't want to monitor anyone, so I'd consider it a gift horse for players and let them go ahead. Maybe a tiny benefit to assuage the pain of change.

• Information