NPCs from the Monarch Quest

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Discontent

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:48 am

Some of us who have played NPC characters in the Monarch Quest are interested in keeping our characters.

Some other players have expressed interest in us doing so.

I have asked Kinaed about this and she told me to post a thread here and if there was player support for it she would make a poll and see what happened, so, please, post your thoughts for and against it.

Irish

Geras

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:50 am

For.

Rabek

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:54 am

Seeing as how I was told 'no' and that Kinaed would not bring it up for the discussion of the playerbase, and this feels like a 180 from that decision, I disagree.

As I was told I would not be allowed to keep Angold no matter what, no matter what compromises I offered, no matter if anyone wanted me to keep him, I set him up so that he left play and would not be able to return to play reasonably.

The fact that Kinaed apparently changed her mind -after- I gave Angold back to the Imms and roleplayed his leaving permanently makes me feel like she is playing favorites. Especially since she stopped responding to my notes about it when it became evident that I would lose.

So no. I'm against letting everyone but me keep their NPCs when I was given a very firm 'no'.

Geras

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:00 am

I'm assuming this would apply to Angold too and he would be allowed to return? Otherwise I'd share Rabek's qualms (that it should apply to all or none).

Rabek

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:01 am

My issue is that, because I was told 'no', I was forced to RP a way for Angold to leave Lithmore when he wouldn't have otherwise. Due to the IC consequences of that, I can't bring him back even if he's given back to me.

It wouldn't have likely happened if I wasn't forced to figure out an IC way why he would be gone.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:04 am

Re: Rabek

I did tell Kaerrick "no, you cannot keep Anschel".

I also did not bring it to discussion with the pbase. Kaerrick brought it up to the pbase, I merely ratified his rights to do so on the forums as we do not, generally speaking, censor topics here.

Finally, my statements to Kaerrick were not so straightforward as "post on the forums, and if the pbase votes yes, you can keep your character". Rather, it was more like "You can post on the forums if you want to, and if the pbase overwhelmingly says yes, then I'll consider it."

If Anschel is allowed to remain, so will Angold, and if a null is required, a null can be given.

Geras

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:07 am

I wouldn't slag anyone's motives here though Rabek. I suspect Kinaed's change of heart is due to feedback partially with respect to Angold...

Zeita

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:13 am

My general opinion is no to allowing NPCs to remain/return; the NPCs are on a much higher scale than a lot of existing PCs are, or at least that a starting PC could strive for. I believe that some of the would-be monarchs even dropped out of the quest given the understanding that they wouldn't be able to keep the character.

That said, should this be a poll? If the majority vote yay, I'd be okay with it.

Discontent

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 am

Now, maybe my english skills are not up to snuff here but I think I said...

"I have asked Kinaed about this and she told me to post a thread here and if there was player support for it she would make a poll and see what happened"

I would like to draw attention at this point to the terminal phrase 'see what happened'

MAYBE that means, as she said, that it opens the situation up to possibilities. MAYBE more then one person asking her about it made her reconsider her position. MAYBE instead of complaining that things changed it might be better to appreciate that they changed for the better.

Just sayin...

Clockwork

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 am

Giving this a significant amount of thought, the issue is (as Hera pointed out) that the NPCs were new characters given much advanced starting social positions (I'm uncertain as to actual stats, which may also be higher than new characters can make now.) Those benefits came at the price of being very explicitly temporary characters, which may have contributed to people choosing not to make contenders (since some people are not super excited about oneshot or throwaway characters), instead perhaps choosing to make wealthy characters to influence the race without having to revert to NPCs at the end.

Given everything I'm hearing, I'm not personally in favor of a reversal of a clearly stated rule for a result that would actually benefit one character out of the 4 or 5 that could conceivably benefit from it. Such a ruling would alternatively leave us in the sticky situation of trying to decide how to determine what NPCs can stay and which can't, and I'm not a big fan of blatant popularity contests determining whether people can play their characters.

Maybe I've been playing Tobes too long at this point, but a rule's a rule.

• Information